Monday 7 May 2018

Grapefruit

Citrus Paradisi, the citrus fruit from paradise. The grapefruit is a subtropical citrus tree known for its sour to semi-sweet fruit. Grapefruit is a hybrid originating in Barbados in the early 1700s as an accidental cross between two introduced species, sweet orange and pomelo. When found on Barbados, it was named the "forbidden fruit" . Now they proudly call it one of their "Seven Wonders of Barbados.".  A grapefruit tree can grow 25 to 30 feet tall and can produce fruit  for 30 - 40 years. The average yield per tree per season is about 350 pounds. The fruits can only be picked by hand. Grapefruits grow on the tree in bunches, like grapes, hence the name. 


Fun fact: The first commercially successful lipstick was introduced by Guerlain in 1880. It was a pomade of grapefruit mixed with butter and wax.


The essential oil is extracted from the peel by cold pressing. It smells sweet and invigorating and is a top note in perfumes. The odour resembles the one of sweet orange oil, but is slightly more bitter and herbaceous. It is said that the smell of grapefruit will make you appear younger... I have no idea if this fact or fable. But if a smile is the best make-up a woman can wear, this oil  definitely brings a smile on my face.


Grapefruit is one of my favourite essential oils. Why? it makes me feel happy instantly even if the weather is dull and gray. It helps me chase the winter blues. I used to add a few drops or to my face lotion in winter, so when I refreshed my skin in the morning the lovely smell would bring a smile to my face. I only did this on cloudy days, since grapefruit essential oil can cause irritation when exposed to sunlight (or the tanning studio). Although this oil is said to be less phototoxic than oil from other citrus fruits, I'd rather be safe than sorry.


My favourite way of enjoying this oil now is adding 4 -5 drops to my aroma diffuser.  My diffuser spreads the aroma in a fine mist. An aroma diffuser safe when you have pets or (grand)kids running around, it switches off automatically so you can use it before sleep and even more important: It does not alter the oil by (over)heating it.


Grapefruit mixes well with Patchouli, Bergamot, Frankincense, Lavender, Peppermint, Basil, Rosemary and Ylang-ylang. 2 drops of grapefruit mixed with 1 drop of the Whisper blend makes a lovely perfume. So does mixing it with the Passion blend.


This oil has more benefits than just being a mood booster, this oil has plenty of antioxidants and practical benefits:  it improves the appearance of blemishes and supports healthy metabolism. It is a great oil to add to homemade skincare and household products. It brings harmony in your mind and can relieve anxious feelings. It supports your diet, helps with jetlag, Relieves head and neck tension and stress.

Would you like to try out this wonderful oil? Click on my doTERRA webshop banner(opens in an new window). I think this is at the moment the very best oil money can buy. doTERRA oils are "Certified Pure Theraputic Grade oil": guaranteed the purest and highest quality. This is the only essential oil i consider good enough for my grandchildren.
Also, doTERRA practices Co-Impact Sourcing where the people that farm and harvest the ingrediënts for the essential oils are aided to improve their lives with things like a school, a good water supply or a better road.

Contact me if you have any questions about the oils, or if you want to know how to get your oil at a reduced price

No comments:

Post a Comment

Corona Protocol

From june 1st Studio Lux is open again for Reiki treatments, Reiki Courses and Aroma Therapy consults. For the time being I will handle th...